What ever you going to design, bio filter must have the following components:
- A place or housing under anaerobic condition where denitrifying microbes and fungi can do their works eating dead leaves, fish excretion, uneaten fish food and dead water fauna turning it into ammonia, nitrites and finally nitrates.
- A system to clean particles in the water (particle filtration system)
- Plants to absorb the nitrates from the water or by other mean.
EXAMPLE NO. 1
FISH POND USING BIO FILTER, SAND FILTER AND CLIMBING PLANTS TO REMOVE NITRATES.
HDPE Perforated corrugated flexible black pipe
As per plan and cross section above:-
- The stone aggregates at the bottom of the pond provide housing for microbes and fungi
- Particles in the water flow through the perforated pipes under the aggregates and filtered by the sand filter
- Cissus nodosa or thousand roots plant on the pergola sent down their roots to the pond water and absorb the nitrates
- The open end of HDPE pipes in the pool need to be capped.
- Try also to plant other plants at the edge of the pond, that can send its root to the water to help removing nitrates and also try to reduce sunlight from reaching the water
FISH POND USING BIO FILTER, SAND FILTER AND FLOATING PLANTS TO REMOVE NITRATES
- With the above system usually floating plants will double every fortnightly, it can be a good composed fertilizer
- Instead of floating plants you can plant hydroponic vegetable in this small pool.
- Try also to plant other plants at the pool edge , plant that can send its rootdown to the water to help removing nitrates and also try to reduce sunlight from reaching the water.
READY MADE AND AVAILABLE IN THE MARKET BIO-FILTER CUM SAND FILTER
- With the above system you just need a submersible pump to make it works and use plants to get rid of nitrates
- You still need to reduce the amount of sunlight reaching your pool.
- You also need a place to hide the system because you may not want it to be near your beautiful pond. Screen can be made of timber or plants.
- What ever system you want to buy please inform the dealer on your pool size.
- Water source is also important as you might use well water from peaty area and the filter might have problem treating it. In this case you have to modify the ph of your water first as water from peat area are usually acidic. Add powdered lime (kapur pertanian) and use ph meter to check ph level, too much lime than your water will be too alkaline.
- If you have tree/trees with small leaves beside your pool, you have to find ways to deal with it , or else it might choked you pump and your filter.
There are more articles listed at the top right column ,listed on the following headings/terdapat banyak lagi artikel disenarai di ruangan kanan/atas dibawah tajuk berikut:-
- Tips on landscape.
- Tips on herbal plants,
- Tips on agriculture
- General tips .